Welcome, Guest!

Hi, just signed up so I thought I’d give a quick summary of the things that I’m doing…

My first model RPI I turned into a web-enabled (intranet) CCT camera that my wife can view the front door from either her desktop or her Kindle Fire. This uses “motion†and a Logitec self powered webcam – a few “niggles†with this but got there in the end. The annoying thing was that I purchased the webcam because it was cheap (£5) from Amazon, wrote a review, and the suppliers put their price up to £15. It’s not worth £15.

My second latest model Pi is going to be phase-II of my Demijon project that counts the bubbles passing through the fermentation locks on Demijons. Since the number of bubbles (i.e. CO2) is directly proportional to the amount of alcohol produced, I’m going to monitor the annual damson wine production! This uses an Arduino Uno and an I2C 3-wire comms connection for transferring data since both the Arduino and the Raspberry have this built in as standard. So far so good – data are logged to a MySQL database on an Ubuntu Netbook laptop, but this may be migrated onto the Raspberry later, which may also become the web server generating SCADA-like web pages using PHP to access the data. Cool eh?

Blimey...!  That second paragraph sounds a little tricky.  What software do you intend to use?  As a matter of fact... what imaging device do you also intend to use?

Hope it all works out for you. :D

Andy

To display the data I have a few choices:

1. My RPi has a HDMI to XVGA adapter (Amazon £10) connected to a standard PC LCD monitor/display + Rii Bluetooth mini-keyboard. So I could use Python – and I’ve recently rediscovered a program called SpecTcl that I was using 10 years ago, that is a WYSIWIG GUI design tool that will generate Python/Tcl code. So that’s the windows graphics (Tcl), the code (Python) and data (MySQL). I’m having trouble at the moment getting my head around the SpecTcl generated code … if anyone has any examples I would be grateful.
  2. Another laptop running Windows7 has “putty†on it so I can remote login to my RPi at a command-line level. For an X-Windows login I use Xming; again from any MS Windows machine. Obviously they are all on the same network; some wireless and some on copper (TCP over mains).
  3. Another option is to put Apache (or similar) onto this RPi and make it a web server with PHP to do the database connectivity and the display graphics. Again, any PC on the network should be able to see the webpage.  I’ve yet to prototype this option.
  4. And the last option is to use an original Kindle with a terminal emulator to login to the RPi and perhaps run something window-ish using ncurses? I haven't been able to "Jailbreak" the Kindle successfully yet.

All good fun!  :rolleyes:

Excellent.  Sounds like you have a bit of work ahead of you. :D

I currently have a webserver running on my Pi using Apache2.  It seems to be going very well.

Andy

Eventually sorted out my problem with the code generated by SpecTcl GUI builder. In the callback routine I have to use the following syntax:-

self._label1["text"] = "some new text"

Where 'self' is the current window/app, '_label1' is the object (e.g. a text label) created using SpecTcl and ["text"] is *THE* way of accessing the objects attribute, in this case its text. I can now finish of the display that will auto-update with data from the MySQL database. Joy!!!

:-)