Welcome, Guest!

napoleonblownaparte

[Project] ZX Spectrum Raspberry Pi

Hi, First post here so please be gentle :). I am currently building a Raspberry Pi into the case of an old Sinclair ZX Spectrum+ (a British made computer from the 80s, for those that don't know :)) and aiming to utilise the original matrix keyboard and port locations. I intend to use it almost solely to run the FUSE emulator to emulate the various Sinclair machines and their clones aside from the occasional bit of web-browsing and media playing. I've ordered a short HDMI cable with a panel mount connector from Adafruit, although I could be waiting a while for this given the terrible events of the last 48 hours on the eastern coast of the United States. Replicating the audio out port shouldn't present me with a problem and I am going to be using 2x 4 port USB hubs to provision Wifi, Bluetooth and further storage with one located where the original machine's edge connector I/O bus was and one tucked away inside. Aside from providing audio input, which isn't a top priority - the single biggest headache I face is getting the original keyboard to function as intended, I have plumped for the encoder pulled from a USB keyboard connected to the 8x5 membrane from the original machine and am looking at building a custom keymap for Raspian to get the desired results.

Edited by napoleonblownaparte

I'd post some pics, but the forum won't let me post them until I've made my 3rd post, what it actually means is that I can't post them 'till my 4th post, hence this completely unnecessary sudo-update - I've connected the Speccy's keyboard membrane but you'll have to look at the next post for more detail :).

As you can see, I've attached the Speccy membrane to the decoder board ripped out of one of those cheap USB rubber keyboards you can find on Ebay. The 8 way ribbon was a straight fit but the 5 way needed the Molex connector from a dead board and some wires soldered. All easy stuff so far, the hard part is sorting out a keymap but I have already made a little progress in that direction.

th_2012-11-11102130.jpg

Almost there - everything in place and a powered USB hub servo-taped where the edge connector used to be. Made some progress with the keymap, but hand editing key assignments according to the codes generated by keypresses could take some time :/.

th_2012-12-07171127.jpgth_2012-12-07123000.jpgth_2012-12-07100703.jpg

Guest unclejed

great, now i'll have to see if i still have an old "pc-in-a-keyboard, that had a keyboard on top, and a 386 computer inside the case, it also had a network port and a vga plug, and two card slots' it took up the same footprint as a regular keyboard, but was about 3 times the depth of a keyboard... there was a hard drive near the back corner and a floppy drive on the side...i could even use the existimg power supply for the Pi, a USB hub and internally mount an "external" USB hard drive, also powered by the power supply... i had 3 of those computers... i hope i didn't throw them out.

Did you ever get the Spectrum+ keyboard working as intended?

I'm starting a very similar project with a rubber key Spectrum. I think I can just squeeze everything I want in, but I do have the option of an old Spectrum+ too if it gets too tight.

I have the keyboard working USB, all the keys work, but the character map is all over the place.

So far, I've found it difficult to find information on how to create a custom key map. I'm planning on using Chameleon which is based on Raspbian.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for creating a suitable key map?

Thanks.