Welcome, Guest!

Yeah, Fedora REMIX is definitely what someone whos not used to LINUX CLI should use! its great, and soon there might be Fedora Remix 16, once 16 is stable.

I've been using squeeze for the past couple of days and was going to try wheezy, but maybe I'll try this here Fedora. I have a different sd card running OpenELEC XBMC and it works very well. Using my phone as a remote is cool too.

Via Tapatalk 2 on LG SPECTRUM w/Broken Out 3.0

I haven't tried RaspBMC, but I think I like OpenELEC. I've only been using it a few hours, but it runs pretty smoothly. I have a hard drive connected with movies and music. I added all of my movies and almost every format has played (haven't tried any .wmv files yet). I also used my android tablet & the Twonky app to stream music from my tablet to my raspi.

To be honest, I've had a couple of reboots and freezes due to me fiddling around with add-ons & system preferences while it was (is) adding my music library. Simply watching video (1080p!) or playing/streaming music seems to work without a hitch.

On first boot I had high resolution and sound, whereas with Squeeze I had to fiddle around and create a config.txt to manage sound, and still haven't gotten as reliable of video playback as I've seen with ELEC.

I say get yourself an 8gb SD and use this method http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Installing_OpenELEC_on_Raspberry_Pi to install it.

Thanks for telling us the few bugs. I think maybe the addons and prefs would be a CPU + RAM hog a bit, so that could be the reason why its freezing. :) But sounds like OpenELEC is great. :)

Setting up Fedora SD card at this moment. Oops, I mean it just finished! Ha! So I'll try booting it up once OE is finished cataloging my music library...seems like it's taking quite a while (there IS a lot of music in there...).

Is it done yet? ahha , how much of music? How long did it take?.. And??? Hows fedora?

No, it still isn't done. I may let it run through the night if necessary.

Nearly 20,000 songs. Apparently it is downloading the artwork? The progress meter is just past halfway.

So no, I haven't even tried the Fedora yet, lol. I'll keep you posted.

Via Tapatalk 2 on TF201 w/AndroWook Prime

Sooo, before I went to bed I checked on my Pi and OE had froze up....Afterwards, I looked at the external drive directories and noticed that I had a ton of garbage files from old iPod rips, album artwork folders, etc. so that was probably slowing up the process quite a bit. So, I'm going to go through the music directory and clean out some of the crap and try re-adding the music library. BTW my 50 or so movies (avi, mp4, mkv, m4v, mt2s, etc...) was loaded into the library, downloaded artwork, and presented it all pretty for me within about an hour.

Tried the Fedora SD card I made, but had some problems booting it. Everything seemed fine on the initial boot (though it seemed to take longer than Debian) at first...then once it started to resize the partition and rebooted, I kept getting an error message about every 30 seconds or so during step 2 of the reformatting of the partitions. It "completed" the reformatting, allowed me to set up the user account, root pw, etc, but still kept giving me the error message every few seconds. I was drowsy and intoxicated so I didn't copy the error message - will try again today and see what happens.

Damn, i hate freezes :(

. Try rewritting the firmware to the card, or try using another file source?I think maybe it could be taking longer to boot, since debian is lighter :)

Well I rewrote the firmware to the sd card - do you know if there is there an MD5 I can check to see if the file is corrupted? I ask because I got the same error message when trying to install it again:

2012-07-10%2014.55.02.jpg

I was able to install Raspbian wheezy on a different card though, and it's running very nicely!

Can't make out the text clearly through the image, you could try this MD5 checker http://www.fastsum.c...ss/md5-hash.php

.I've just Looked at the file, it's a 300MB file hosted at this website, whereas, the installer is around 8MB, you can get it from here.

Just load run the software as Admin, and select the SD card drive. Click install. And it should install. I hope this helps.

----

Just added a tutorial to install Fedora From here. The installer will automatically download the fedora image on windows.

http://www.rpiforum.net/forum/tutorials/article/15-how-to-easily-install-fedora-remix-14-to-your-pi/

Will the installer run on Mac OSX?

Hey, sorry for the late reply. My DSL connection was down.

There is a tar.gz file format under the "Linux Others (python)" link. Since Mac is somewhat based on linux, and has similar Command lines, i think you should be able to get it to run on the mac, but Im not certain if it will run fine. Why dont you give it a try?

Can you extract files from the tar.gz format through the terminal? otherwise you can download an app to extract it or something. Something like this: http://www.macupdate...c/14503/gui-tar

Good Luck. I will also look for some more image files of Fedora 14 Remix :)

--------

By the way Fedora Remix 14, has been pulled out from the download area on the official RaspberryPi.org site,because its quite buggy, and many people were facing similar issues as you (the slow boot).

Here is a torrent file to the image file. I hope that isn't against the rules, since this is free. :S

Thanks, I'm liking raspbian and have been using it most of the day and customizing it a bit. I will try Fedora again in a few days!

Thanks, I'm liking raspbian and have been using it most of the day and customizing it a bit. I will try Fedora again in a few days!

Sure, they say debian wheezey is the best, but I guess you won't know hows Fedora until you try it for yourself. :D