Welcome, Guest!

Sign in to follow this  
ArborealSeer

Uses for OpenGL ES on Rpi.

1) learning full stop..

part of what got me into programming, and got me excited by it was being able to manipulate graphics on screen.

when i was young 3d was like 'whoa', and only when i hit my late teens did the first open gl cards for pc's appear.

- the muddy "transparent" water in gl quake blew our minds at the time

2) demoscene / tech demo type stuff.

til lately with people having such varied PC hardware and closed platforms like xbox's demoscene type activities have dwindled

something with a fixed platform allows direct comparisons with things like performance

pushing the performance of a fixed platform into unexpected realms gives those into it kicks.

3) screen savers

4) making games

and not just 3d ones.. opengl es also provides accelerated 2d graphics

what i'm planning to do falls between 1+2+3 really. as i want to learn to make something that 'looks cool', but its more of a tech demo - with a twist. kind of a 3d graphics engine suited to a particular type of thing.

The RPi is a constrained platform by todays standards and that opens it up to a demo scene because people will want to see how far they can push the device. I am looking forward to seeing what emerges.

I am a bit disappointed to see so many posts on forums about cases designs, retro computing (RiscOS and BASIC), media centres and the "will it run Windows" stuff. There doesn't seem to be much discussion around programming and in particular the sort of programming aimed at pushing these things to the limit.

I agree with you completely, I know the Pi part stands for Python, but no one seems to want to discuss C or anything graphicsy on it very much.

Considering the CPU isn't that hot, and the GPU is fairly decent its a bit of a suprise, I suspect people will kick off about the power when they have them in hand. Just like those who didn't realise it doesn't do VGA aren't too happy now they've found out what they've ordered!

I'm sure after a few months of mass availibilty things will change.

Even if Pi helps me learn more linux generally, and a helps me develop a boiler plate app, I know I can take OpenGL code to any platform, and that it'll scale to other similar SOCs, tablets and the like. (I'd love a RPi tablet)

I agree that people should have a go at programing, maybe someone could give us newbies a guide to some simple programing, or some links to websites to give us a start.

I have installed xmbc and debian just to get started.

Bart

I'm starting to dip into other threads, and find it interesting to see that you flyers have ambitions to do some serious stuff. I'm just a new starter, but would like to see how far I can push my Pi (and myself). Where do I find instruction to be able to do some of this stuff?

If you look at my Beginnings thread you will see how little response there has been to advice on learning Python or even finding some commands.

If you want to be condescending about how people won't be using the Pi to its fullest extent go ahead, but at the moment the information required to do any more than that isn't available to us the surface dwellers.