Welcome, Guest!

Sign in to follow this  
zag

QT Videos

I remember as a kid being fascinated by smooth graphics on screen using assembly language or raytracing.

The QT framework already has some sample code like this to get people interested.

The best thing is its accelerated!! Some of these demos are full 1080p :shock:

[video=youtube;Fq7IJLIIs2c]

The best thing is its accelerated!! Some of these demos are full 1080p :shock:

The best thing is that some of those demos are using the Qt Quick declarative framework which is basically just Javascript syntax. You can get something started with a simple IDE and just changing some properties declared in what is basically JSON and then adding some javascript event handlers.

A class could do some basic web javascript for validation or something, then a simple nodejs web service, then a QT animated 3d demo without learning a dozen different languages.

theres 'C' looking code in there too?

so whats interpretted and not? - giving thats theres an estinated 20% performance hit for non-compiled code.

good job i had to learn javascript about a year ago when helping on a project, as although i'll be developing in straight C this will be fun to play with, and I might want to learn something from a sample written in it, or be able to prototype in it.

The "C" code in the demo is GL shader language. The rest of it is declarative with a javascript like syntax. The QML may get compiled. I don't know how it is implemented.

I am pretty sure you can combine QML with c++ for performance critical stuff as it is still Qt but you probably don't need it for simple things.

It is probably a good place to play with GLSL without having to bother with all the c/c++ boilerplate for setting up contexts and loading shaders etc.

thing is.. these demo's are more about OpenGL than QT? (which is more like MFC on windows than anything else)

i certainly wouldn't try to pass off an opengl windows app written in mfc as 'showing off the power of mfc'

what is cool is that it looks like you can write using their creator on windows and 'publish' to an rpi

thing is.. these demo's are more about OpenGL than QT? (which is more like MFC on windows than anything else)

i certainly wouldn't try to pass off an opengl windows app written in mfc as 'showing off the power of mfc'

what is cool is that it looks like you can write using their creator on windows and 'publish' to an rpi

I think there is a bit more going on. Certainly Qt has been much like a cross-platform MFC done right. But the addition of a declarative layer and a scene graph pushes it to another level for me. I was going to play more with Clutter because it does some of these things and is C based but I don't think I will bother now.

With qmlviewer on a RPi and QtCreator on a desktop you can obviously get stunning visual things happening on an RPi without a lot of effort. I should be able to play about with shaders even though other parts of OpenGL will be abstracted away.

I am also planning to use the RPi to learn OpenGL from C. Obviously if you want to learn how to write a 3d game engine or something the hard way is still the right way. I wasn't planning on playing with Qt because I didn't want to get into c++ but the QML demos have changed my mind about that.