Welcome, Guest!

scbenoit

My Pi project idea - carputer

My idea for the Pi is a carputer. The idea grew pretty quickly and may have exceeded the capacity of a single Pi, it may require a Pi cluster.

See the attached picture for a sketch of the idea. In its first stage it will be an OBDII logging system with GPS location data associated with it. Pi time can come from the GPS so logs are accurately stamped.

The use of a few 1-wire temperature probes would provide temperature data for outside, and inside the car, perhaps engine and engine compartment as well. Environmental temperature data may be useful along side the OBDII data.

The addition of a small battery UPS allows for a controlled shutdown, and transfer of data, see next item.

I'm uncertain on display options yet, I was initially thinking of just a small LCD screen for system status and some alerts. However, I am now thinking of a small 7"ntsc LCD screen, or an HDMI screen

The addition of a wifi interface allows for the transfer of data to the home server when a friendly wifi network is found at vehicle shutdown (perhaps home or work wireless) . Once a wifi network interface is present it could be used as a "stumbler" as well?

Bluetooth could be added for a kybd/mouse interface as well as phone interface. Could the Pi access Internet over phone when no friendly wifi available? Could Pi be a hotspot ?

A rear facing webcam could provide service as backup/parking assist cam, and a forward facing one a crash cam . A trigger from an accelerometer could trigger the saving of the previous 15 secs of video plus the next 15 seconds.

A somewhat ambitious project but I think I can build it in phases adding blocks along the way.

What do you think ?

post-962-0-12064900-1357362220_thumb.png

I like the idea a lot :) Although I tend to agree it may be more than a single Pi is capable of, that's a lot of real-time data to process. Maybe a Pi per module approach instead?

Guest Mat Spencer

I think this is exactly what I've been looking for and I'm keen to learn more! I'm not going to be much use in making it work however which is a shame!

Hi Matt - welcome aboard

I've worked with some of these software pieces on laptops and netbooks in vehicles but am looking forward to packaging this in a smaller package in my Jeep in a more permanent fashion.

I'm reviewing power supply options right now and will keep this thread updated as I find options and pieces.

The Sparkfun folks were quick to respond to my questions, it looks like the above mentioned OBD UART board is a pre-assembled board, with the addition of a couple of cables and some power it should be ready to use. Guess I'll need to look at getting that piece in a couple of weeks after all the holiday stuff is looked after.

:-)

• Like 1

Well, I received some fruit today, ADAFRUIT that is - my breakout kits arrived so that I can experiment easily, I picked up the

Adafruit Pi T-Cobbler Breakout Kit for Raspberry Pi

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1105

Adafruit Prototyping Pi Plate Kit for Raspberry Pi

https://www.adafruit.com/products/801

And I have an STN1100 on order for the ODBII part

Check this out as it may make a good test platform power supply while I work out the details for the power supply

This could charge from the car system and run the carputer through it all the time. A GPIO pin could be connected (via an isolation circuit) to car voltage or signal that its on/off - then carputer could halt when car off after it has don eits checks, transfers to main system, and sync file system

USB Battery Pack for Raspberry Pi - 3300mAh - 5V @ 1A and 500mA

https://www.adafruit.com/products/962

FREE STN1100 - I was putting togather more OBDII information and came across this fellows page

http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/p/raspberry-pi-car-pc-project.html

And he mentions a free sample for the STN1100

First off, the OBDII plug. I just bought one from http://www.carplugs.com/index.html - a simple male plug with wire pins for $8 shipped. Excellent. As for interfacing with the ECU, I got this one covered too! I found the STN1110 (http://www.obdsol.com/stn1110/) and, lo and behold, they will ship you a free sample!! Amazing. It actually just showed up today, I have it in my hand..

I started a bit of work on the gps today

The gps patch I have for this project is from a Microsoft Streets & Trips package, its a Pharos GPS-360 USB unit and uses the Prolific serial to usb chip and shows up on the system as such. In the output from the dmesg command I can see the following line

[ 13.669816] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

[ 13.988695] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

[ 14.174661] USB Serial support registered for pl2303

[ 14.463708] usb 1-1.3: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

[ 14.562358] usbcore: registered new interface driver pl2303

[ 14.632807] pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver

Note that there is no mention of a GPS device in the output from dmesg

And from the lsusb command

root@raspberrypi:/etc# lsusb

……..

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 067b:aaa0 Prolific Technology, Inc. Prolific Pharos

……..

and in the /dev directory you can see the serial port as USB0

ls -lrt /dev/tty*

…..

crw-rw---T 1 root dialout 188, 0 Dec 31 1969 /dev/ttyUSB0

……

then stty can be used to test the connection …

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat </dev/ttyUSB0

….020227.151,V,36000.0000,N,72000.0000,E,0.000000,,140113,,*3C

$GPGGA,020228.151,0000.0000,N,00000.0000,E,0,00,50.0,0.0,M,0.0,M,0.0,0000*79

$GPGLL,36000.0000,N,72000.0000,E,020228.151,V*1C

$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,50.0,50.0,50.0*05

$GPGSV,3,1,12,2,0,0,0,16,0,0,0,31,0,0,25,23,0,0,0*79

$GPGSV,3,2,12,11,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,30,0,0,36,14,0,0,0*79

$GPGSV,3,3,12,22,0,0,0,29,0,0,0,10,0,0,0,130,0,0,0*42

you can see the gps did not have a fix yet when I ran this

lastly, gpsd and gpsd-cleints were installed

apt-get install gpsd

apt-get install gpsd-clients

next time, output from the gpsd system and tools

• Like 1

I received a package from ScanTool.net today with the sample STN1100 chip I mentioned previously.

Thank you Scantool !

Now to breadboard the chip

Its coming along good. just looking at taking it mobile now/ Issue 6 of the TheMagPi ( http://magpi.techjeeper.com/The_MagPi_issue_6.pdf ) has a sample power regulation circuit it in it. I'm rethinking how the unit powers up and down to see if I could use a always on type of setup allowing me to use a simple power regulation like this one.

Well that was a crazy few months - I'm hoping to pick up this project this winter season.  I had a look around and have sean more and new projects with similar ideas.  We should have lots of options to look at and try