Welcome, Guest!

another noob'

"DELUGE" setup help with new PI

Hi again folks.

My second PI is the newer one with the 4 USB Ports.

This is because I am wanting to set it up to download torrents and the two extra ports would give more space to save files.

I don't know the vocabulary so I am inundated when people speel off the commands, which I don't understand.

How do I mount the USB sticks?

Also to allow me to run it headless, I have installed tightvnc but can't remember how to make it auto start when it boots.

Would someone please help me with this too?

On a bit of an off topic:

I have a C++ book for dummies, but that doesn't really help me with the PI.

(more for Arduino)

Which "language" does the PI's OS use?

UBUNTU?

So I can learn how to add/edit auto start programs, etc.

Help appreciated.

If you want to run a headless torrent server, you do not need vnc or an x11 desktop. That is the whole meaning of "headless". You should probably install an ssh server and transmission-server instead. I have a similar setup in my home.

You mount the USB drives with the mount command. I sense that you don't have a lot of Linux experience, is that right?

To your last question, there is no one single language that Linux uses. C is a fine language to write things in, also on the Pi.

Thanks.

Yes, I am new to Linux.   I have a bit of an idea, I use to use an Amiga and it has similar files but it has been too long to use it as a base line.

I mentioned VNC only because I had it installed on an earlier version and it allowed me to look at the PI on my windoze machine.

Maybe not the correct use of the word "headless" but I thought that meant with no local keyboard and display, which is what is will be doing.

So:  Now do I mount the USB sticks?

I appreciate the MOUNT command, but the extras which go at the end are way different.

Getting my head around all those things can be a bit overwhelming for someone like me with little/no experience in LINUX.

Thanks.

If this is still being looked at.....

Saw this advertised on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-6-inch-TFT-LCD-Display-Touch-Screen-Sain-Smart-for-Raspberry-Pi-B-Plug-Play-/141648033077?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I am not saying this is THE ONE, but either this or similar.

I am not sure if it is for the B or B+, or both.

If this "plugs onto" the PI, it would be nice.

Thoughts?

Just curious. Have you managed to figure any of this out yet? I still call myself a noob and I've been tinkering with Linux for the last 2 years. Got a long way to go still but enjoying the excitement of an unfamiliar operating system.

To be honest, I have done nothing since.

I am "stuck" with mounting the USB sticks.

Once over that step, I can move to the next phase.   But until then, I am stuck.

Ok no problem. First you need to find out what it is called. Plug it into the pi and then type in the terminal fdisk -l

That should give you the name of the disk. Pay attention to the size and it is usually called something like sdb or sdc. Then you need to create a folder to mount it to. Linux uses folders to indicate drives. So you want to mount it under the folder /media. So to do that create a folder by typing sudo mkdir /media/usbhdd. Then to mount it to that you need to use the mount command. I think if I remember correctly it is mount /dev/sdb /media/usbhdd. This basically is saying mount that drive to that folder. Gotta take my son to school now but will check back later. Hope that makes some sense and hope that works

Well here is an update - well overdue I may add.

I finally got time to try what you said.

Amazingly it mounted itself automatically.    It popped up a little requester asking me if I wanted to browse it.   I clicked ok, and voila!   It was accessible!

But I don't know its "name".

I don't know the command to list "available discs".   Shall dig around ITMT, but may need help with that.

Well it seems to be called sada and it is accessible from the "file explorer".  I haven't tried reading/writing files, but I can  browse quite happily.

I guess things are looking good.

But I may need a bit of help getting to step 2 - or even knowing what that is.   ;)

I have deluge installed - I hope.

Do I use tinyvnc or the deluge program to talk to it?

Gotta do some more reading.

Further update:

I have it working!   Woo Hoo!

But I haven't started any torrents yet.

I am a bit stuck in how to specify WHERE it puts the files - like on the USB drive rather than .......?

I've never used deluge for torrenting on its own. If you want to be able to download torrents on the fly I hear that transmission is good for that. and you can log into a Web based version of your torrent client via the interwebs in order to control it