Welcome, Guest!

suramya

How to get Citrix working on a RaspberryPi

How to get Citrix working on a RaspberryPi

A lot of people have been talking about using the Pi as a thin client and I am one of them. One of the uses for the Pi I thought about when I first read about it was to use it as a thin client for connecting to a windows server. In this tutorial I will go over the steps I followed to install Citrix on the Pi and how I got it to connect to a remote windows server.

These instructions were tested on Model B of the Raspberry Pi running the standard unmodified Debian Squeeze image as provided by the RaspberryPi foundation. If you are running a different image you should modify the instructions accordingly.

Initial Preparation/Checks:
  1. Make sure your internet connection is up and working and you can browse the internet from the Pi.
  2. Ensure your SD card has enough space available to install Citrix
  3. Confirm that you can start the X server (I am running LXDE) by issuing the following command from the command prompt
    • startx

Once X starts up you can proceed to the next step.

Installing Citrix

To install Citrix follow these steps:

• Visit the Download page for the Citrix Receiver on the Citrix website.
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the page to the 'For ARM Processors' section and download the 'Receiver For Linux' package. I downloaded the .deb package because I was running Debian [That downloaded a file named icaclient_12.1.0_armel.deb]
  • Once the package finishes downloading, start a Terminal session:
    • Click on the Start Button (I know its not called the Start Button, but that's the most common name for the Menu button on the bottom left corner of the screen)
    • Click on 'Accessories'
    • Click on 'LXTerminal'

The next few commands are issued in the terminal. Since I reset the root password on my install, I ran the next few commands as root. If you don't want to do that you should prepend the commands given with sudo.

• First we need to make sure the APT database is up to date so issue the following command:
    • apt-get update

[*]We then need to install libxp6 which is a per-requisite for Citrix

• apt-get install libxp6

[*]After that finishes installing we need to install the package we downloaded in the previous section using the dpkg command

• dpkg -i icaclient_12.1.0_armel.deb

This finishes the Citrix install and you now have a working Citrix install.

However, the default browser in the Debian image provided by RaspberryPi doesn't support file associations (atleast I couldn't find an easy way to do it). This caused a problem for me because in order for me to launch a Citrix session I needed to click on a link in a website that downloaded a .ics file which in turn would launch Citrix.

Since the file association wasn't working with Midori, I couldn't launch Citrix (running Citrix directly didn't work). So after a few mins of trying to associate a file type with an application in Midori I decided to install Iceweasel (a re-branded version of Firefox) instead because I knew the associations worked with Firefox (I use the same setup on my debian desktop).

To install Iceweasel I ran the following command:

• apt-get install iceweasel

Once it finishes installing, launch Iceweasel and then associate ics files with Citrix by following these steps:

• Click on the link to download the .ics file
  • The Save dialog will open, click on 'Dropdown menu' next to the 'Open with' selector.
  • Select 'Other', the 'Choose Helper Application' dialog will open.
  • Click on 'File System' on the left side of the dialog box.
  • Browse to /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/
  • Select 'wfica.sh'
  • Click 'Open'
  • Check the box next to 'Do this automatically for files like this from now on'
  • Click 'Ok'

If all went well Citrix should launch and connect you to your remote desktop. I connected to my server and was able to work without any issues at all.

Hope this made sense. Feel free to ask questions if any of the above didn't make sense or you need clarification.

- Suramya

Guest wardellcastles

Hi,

I followed your instructions. However I get the following error when trying to install the deb package:

"package architecture (arml) does not match system (armhf)"

Can you advise on a workaround?

Hey,

Sorry for the delayed reponse, but for some reason I didn't get any email notification when you posted here. To fix the issue with the armhf you should download the 'Soft-float Debian “wheezyâ€' from the http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads site. Basically the problem is that the Citrix client is not compiled for the armhf architecture, so you need to download and install the armel version of the OS.

I am trying to get a snapshot of my current working copy of the install with Citrix but dd is taking forever to make a copy. Since its almost 3am and I have to be up in a few hours, I am going to go crash now. I will test out the snapshot in the next few days and make it available for folks to download once I verify that nothing went wrong with the imaging.

- Suramya

As promised I have created a snapshot of my Pi install with Citrix installed and configured. You can download it from http://mirror.suramya.com/Downloads/Raspberry/Raspberry_Citrix.img.zip. The image is 4GB so you will need to use a card of atleast that size when using this image.

The password for this image is:

Login: root

password: password

Please do change the password if you are using the image. More detailed instructions on how to install the image are available at: http://www.suramya.com/blog/2013/03/citrix-on-raspberry-pi-updated-instructions-and-working-download-image/

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Suramya

A couple of folks have reached out to me via email/messages to tell me that the instructions I posted here don't work with the latest version of Rhaspbian. Basically the problem is that the latest version of the Citrix client is not compiled for the armhf architecture (Which is what the latest version of Rhaspbian OS is compiled for), so you need to download and install the armel version of the OS ('Soft-float Debian “wheezyâ€') from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads.

To make life simpler for people I have created a snapshot of my Pi install with Citrix installed and configured. You can download it from http://mirror.suramya.com/Downloads/Raspberry/Raspberry_Citrix.img.gz. The image is 4GB so you will need to use a card of atleast that size when using this image.

The password for this image is:

Login: root

password: password

Please do change the password if you are using the image. More detailed instructions on how to install the image are available at: http://www.suramya.com/blog/2013/03/citrix-on-raspberry-pi-updated-instructions-and-working-download-image/

Let me know if you have any questions/comments about this.

- Suramya